GPSOwl.com is easy to setup and use
GPSOwl.com and our Android/smartphone app form a simple location monitoring system. The app on the Android device uploads GPS locations to the website, then the website can be used to view those locations. All you need to get started is an Android phone (with a data-plan) and a free GPSOwl.com account.
In the discussion below, device refers to an Android device that has GPS and cellular capability. Anyone or anything can carry such a device and therefore be tracked. Examples include: trucks, taxies, delivery and other service vehicles, trailers, helicopters, and locomotives.
Try out our service with Android, and if you like it please donate to support development of an iPhone app.
In order to use GPSOwl.com and our app you must agree with our terms of service.
Follow these steps to get location tracking working for you:
- Create an account if you haven’t already.
- Log in to your account.
- Click the Settings button to add one or more GPS location uploading (smartphone) devices to your account. Each device is assigned a key of alphanumeric characters, for example: A1b2c3D
- Install our location tracking/reporting/uploading app on each Android device (see below), and enter the key assigned to that device.
Note: a key is used (rather than an email) so devices can be easily associated with inanimate objects (such as vehicles) that typically do not have email addresses.
- On the device check app settings to confirm your preferences, including allowing location permission.
The app will now upload GPS data from the Android device to our servers. Give your device a chance to pick up a GPS location and wait a minute or two for the location to be uploaded.
The GPS App
An important part of the system, our app captures GPS locations and uploads them back to the website. By downloading our app you agree to our terms of service.
Click the badge to see the app on the Play Store:
Use the website to check the location of your devices — and whatever they are associated with. After you log in you will see a list of your devices.
Here is a quick list of the primary features:
- On the left (or top) is a summary your devices including the most recently uploaded location timestamp.
- On the right (or bottom) is a map, with indicators showing the most recently uploaded location of each device.
- Click on a device name to center the map on that device.
- Check “Keep all visible” and the map will automatically pan and zoom to keep all devices visible on the map, even as their locations change.
- If you wish to manipulate the map, turn off “Keep all visible” to avoid interruptions.
Don’t use browser “refresh” — the webpage will update device times and locations automatically.
You can add users (log ins) to your account. Users you add can view the map and see device locations, but cannot access system settings.
Adding users is quite simple, enter their email and click the add button. An invitation will be sent to the user who will then be able to set their own password. If the user goes through the process of setting up a password then the user will be considered to have acknowledged your invitation.
Much is planned for GPSOwl.com, including:
- An iPhone app
- Set device reporting intervals
- Last 30 minutes of device travel shown on the map
- Device history available for mapping
Need to reset your password? Use the ‘Lost your password’ feature on the login page.
If you still have questions then head on over to our community support pages.